Monday, August 6, 2012

Bread and wine: reflections from my sermon

Hello my dear reader.

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. (Gospel according to St. John 6:35)

What is this bread? How can we get it?
What is this life? How can we have it?
Why are we thirsty?
And what is this hunger?

Bread...life...hunger...thirst.

When you woke up today, were you hungry? Many of us would respond with a 'yes'. I hope that you had something to eat, anything...at the least some bread...

There are many types of hunger. As human beings we all share in the very basic hunger of the body. We need to eat; this is a condition of our existence. And yet, eating for us does not have to be just about basic nourishment. Last Saturday, after spending most of the day meditating, praying, and contemplating on my sermon for the next day, I spent part of evening with friends having bread and wine, talking, joking, etc. This was an example of another hunger: the hunger for friendship and companionship.

We are hungry for many things. And if you my dear reader are a Christian (or not) I believe that what I have been saying so far makes sense to you: that we are hungry. Also, we recognize that there are many types of hunger and it appears that each one requires a different type of food...a different type of bread.

I have much more to say...stay tuned...

peace,

Mario

No comments:

Post a Comment