Sunday, June 23, 2013

My faith as a Christian--Part 2

Hello my dear reader.

A while ago I wrote the first part on a series that I called "My Faith as a Christian". I thought it was a good idea to go back to this discussion. I said that these entries will be personal reflections and meditations on what is faith to me, how I understand my faith as a Christian, some of my joys, doubts and struggles during this journey, and how it affects my life and the lives of others. I remember among many things being inspired by the words of Martin Luther King Jr. when he said that faith "is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase."

Lately I have intrigued by what some people describe as biblical faith. While I am familiar with many ways of describing the word faith, including faith by itself and/or faith in a person, lately the term biblical faith has been occurring more and more in conversations, in politics, in the media, etc. I have observed that sometimes this is connected with some of my Christian brothers and sisters who believe that they are being persecuted in this country because they hold to what they call biblical faith.






Also, some of my Atheist brothers and sisters believe that faith is the enemy of reason, something to be avoided at all costs. (See the image I found in the web). I have observed that they believe that if you can get rid of faith (and all the negative baggage associated with faith) then a lot of our problems can be resolved.





Before I give my thoughts and opinions in this matter, I think it is wise to ask the following questions:
What does biblical faith mean to you?
Do you believe that faith is the enemy of reason?

Please remember to be respectful of each other and I look forward to your comments.

peace,

Mario

No comments:

Post a Comment